Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Adam Yauch, Gone at 48


The Beastie Boys. I'm trying to think of anybody else who showed up in the public eye in the mid 80s and then went on to be more and more of a musical/artistic inspiration for people, right up to the present day. Nothing is coming to mind. ...Madonna? I guess. I don't know. I mean any other artist is either in absolute obscurity now, or at best, considered "retro". There's nothing retro about what these guys have created. The Beastie Boys music and videos are about fun, laughing, living. They take influences from not just hip-hop and punk but lounge music, funk, pop culture in general, and have made something that's uniquely their own. Shit, they did an ice-skating organ instrumental about honkies!



It's clear from the reactions of nearly every one of my friends on Facebook and Twitter; People lost a friend today. Not over bullshit drug overdoses or a shooting. Just someone we loved who got sick and was cut down way too early. When Whitney Houston recently died, my girlfriend asked if there was a celebrity I would really feel saddened by losing. I'll just say it's a pretty short list. Today I am sad over the loss of Adam Yauch.


You can't, you won't and you don't stop.

R.I.P. Adam Yauch


No comments:

Post a Comment